Cardamon vanilla sponge, filled with a white chocolate ganache, frosted with a pure rose extract buttercream and topped with a vanilla rose! I love saying things like that – it makes me feel like I’m on Cupcake Wars!
I came up with these cupcakes to sell in the restaurant for a fancy touch. Turns out they were my best yet with the chef calling them”exquisite!”. I was very pleased with myself that day!
As usual, choose your preferred vanilla cupcake recipe for 12;
1 tbsp Cardamon Pods
Vanilla Candy Melts or White Chocolate (plus rose molds to decorate)
120ml Double Cream
225g/8oz White Chocolate
500g Icing Sugar
250g Unsalted Butter
1) Preheat oven and prepare vanilla cupcake batter
2) Using a blender, or pestle and mortar, grind the cardamon pods. Add to your vanilla cupcake mixture. I added just more than 1tbsp, you can add as much or as little as you like.
3) While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the white chocolate ganache. Put cream in a pan and heat until boiling. Pour boiling cream over pieces of white chocolate and leave to melt. Stir after a few minutes until all of the lumps are gone. Reheat in the microwave if solid chocolate remains. Leave to cool. If you want a thicker ganache, place in the fridge until ready to use.
4) Once cupcakes have cooled, use an apple corer to pull out the middle of each cupcake. Bring your ganache to room temperature (or heat slightlt in the microwave) and stir until smooth. Spoon ganache into centre of each cake and place the top of each sponge back on to cover the chocolate.
5) Prepare the frosting. Beat the icing sugar and softened butter together for at least five minutes until soft and fluffy. Add rose extract to taste. Colour the frosting a soft pink and spread or pipe onto cupcakes. Decorate as you wish; I used vanilla candy melt roses and a touch of edible glitter.
These are tasty cakes and they can be decorated to look stunning if you are using them for an elegant event!
Sam’s Opinion: Roses are for girls and I didn’t have one. They smelled nice in the oven, but the cardamon made me sneeze!