Back to the kitchen and I found another great recipe in one of my Mum’s magazines. You may know that I love bananas, and so finding the recipe was a treat!
My picture looks nowhere near as good as the one in the magazine, for a few simple reasons:
1) Don’t drizzle all of the sauce on at once, save it for individual servings or else your cheesecake will be swimming in sauce and soggy by the next morning.
2) Push the bananas into the cheesecake little bit for support, or else the sauce will just pull them off in an avalanche of soggy bananas.
Nevertheless, this cheesecake tasted amazing!
Source: Woman and Home magazine, September 2012, page 151. (Online version)
To make the base:
150g (5oz) Hobnobs, finely crushed
75g (3oz) butter, melted
To make the filling:
250g (9oz) mascarpone cheese
2 eggs, separated
15g (3oz) caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
250ml double cream
4 gelatine leaves, softened in cold water
To make the butterscotch sauce:
100g (4oz) golden syrup
150g (5oz) soft dark brown sugar
50g (2oz) butter
150ml double cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas
25g (1oz) flaked almonds, toasted
1) Mix butter and biscuits in a bowl and press into the base of your tin (20cm springform tin with parchment lined base) and chill while preparing the cheesecake.
2) Beat together the mascarpone, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Put 50ml of the cream in a small saucepan until just boiling. Remove from heat, squeeze excess water from gelatine leaves and add to the pan, swirling to dissolve. Leave to cool slightly.
3) Lightly whip the remaining cream to soft peaks. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Beat the gelatine into the cheese mix until combined. Fold in the whipped cream and then the egg whites. Combine well. Pour over base. Refrigerate cheesecake overnight or for at least six hours.
4) For the sauce, place the syrup, sugar and butter in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cook gently for 5 minutes then slowly pour in the cream and vanilla. Stir well, remove from heat and allow to cool.
5) Release the cheesecake and cover with slices of banana. Drizzle caramel sauce to serve and scatter almonds on top.
This is an easy recipe and the results are fantastic!