Every year as a Mother’s Day tradition, my brother comes round to my parents’ house and makes us all a continental breakfast! This morning, my Mum made some breakfast muffins, based on a sour cream cake in the Barefoot Contessa cookbook I bought her for Mother’s Day, to go with the breakfast. I had a bit of fun helping out!
For the Muffins:
170g unsalted butter, room temperature
340g granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1tsp vanilla extract (my Mum used her homemade one!)
250ml sour cream
300ml double cream
300g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
For the Streusel:
135g light-brown sugar
60g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
40g unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
For the Glaze:
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp water
60g icing sugar
– Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan, Gas Mark 4). Line muffin pans with 18 cases (this is how many muffins we were able to make from this recipe).
– Beat butter and sugar together well (about 4-5 minutes)
– Add the eggs gradually, followed by the vanilla, sour cream and double cream.
– In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt.
– At a low speed, add the flour mixture to your batter until just combined.
– Finish stirring with a spatula or spoon to make sure the batter is well mixed.
– To make the streusel, mix all of the ingredients together in a separate bowl and rub with fingers until a sort of crumble is formed.
– Place a tablespoon of batter into the bottom of all the muffin cases. Top with a sprinkling of streusel, and then another dollop of batter and a final layer of streusel.
– Bake for 15-20 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
– To make the glaze, mix the sugar and maple syrup until smooth, and add some water to reach the desired consistency.
– Drizzle glaze over muffins and eat while warm!
Mother’s Day was lovely, although it was unfortunate that me and both my brothers all had to work it this year! So we made up for it this morning with Kevin’s traditional Mother’s Day Breakfast:
And my nephew came running into the hall with snow covered boots to deliver this to my Mum:
How cute is his little snow picture?!